Posts Tagged: chandler’s purchase



Jewell Trail, White Mountains

Southern Presidential Range from the Jewell Trail in Thompson and Meserve's Purchase in the New Hampshire White Mountains at sunset on a cloudy summer day. The Jewell Trail is named for Sergeant Winfield S. Jewell. He was an Army Signal Corps observer on Mount Washington from 1878-1880. And on April 12, 1884, while on the Greely expedition to the Arctic, Jewell died of starvation. Out of the 25 men on the three year Greeley expedition (1881–1884), only six survived.
Sunset – Jewell Trail, White Mountains
 

Jewell Trail, White Mountains – Established in 1934, the roughly 3.7 mile long Jewell Trail begins at a trailhead on Base Station Road in Chandler's Purchase, New Hampshire. It travels up an unnamed ridge of Mount Clay, eventually ending at the Gulfside Trail; the Gulfside Trail is a segment of the scenic Appalachian Trail. Upon reaching the junction with the Gulfside Trail, many hikers continue on to Mount Washington.

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) were involved in the building of the trail. The CCC was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States; they built bridges, roads, trails, and many other structures in the New Hampshire White Mountains.

Continue reading right arrow

July History, White Mountains

July history, Middle Sister Fire tower on Middle Sister Mountain in Albany, New Hampshire USA during a summer night. This fire tower was in operation from 1927-1948.
Middle Sister Mountain – Albany, New Hampshire
 

July History, White Mountains – July in the New Hampshire White Mountains is a great time of year. Hikers are exploring the trails, fishermen are fishing the rivers, and campers are enjoying the campgrounds. Throughout the history of the White Mountains, outdoor recreation has been a favorite pastime for many families during this month. And some interesting historical events took place during July.

Named for Matthew Thornton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, the town of Thornton was granted to Matthew Thornton and others on July 6, 1763. The charter consisted of 23,000 acres divided into seventy-three shares. However, no settlements were made under the original grant, and a new charter was given in October 1768. But because of slow development, the town would not be officially incorporated until November 1781.

Continue reading right arrow