Posts Tagged: Mt Willard Section House

December History, White Mountains

December history, Flume Covered Bridge in Franconia Notch State Park in Lincoln, New Hampshire during the night.
Flume Covered Bridge at Night – Lincoln, New Hampshire

December History, White Mountains – Here in the White Mountains, December is an exciting month. The ski mountains open for business, hikers are preparing for the official kickoff of the winter hiking season, and snowmobiles are being tuned up. If you enjoy the outdoors, winter is a great time to explore the region.

When it comes to White Mountains history, a handful of events happened in December. J.E. Henry’s mill burns down, a section house was razed, turnpikes were incorporated, and the Underhills became the first people to complete the White Mountain Four 4000 footers during the winter. Included here are a few interesting events.

Continue reading right arrow

Mt Willard Section House, Crawford Notch

Crawford Notch State Park - Location of the Mt Willard Section house, which was at the end of the Willey Brook Trestle along the old Maine Central Railroad in the White Mountains, New Hampshire. This section house was built by the Maine Central Railroad in 1887 to house the section foreman and crew who maintained the track. From 1903-1942 the Hattie Evans family lived at the house, it was destroyed by fire in 1972.
Mt Willard Section House c. 1900 – From The New York Public Library

Mt Willard Section House, Crawford Notch – Above is the historic Mt Willard Section House and the Willey Brook Bridge (c. 1900) along the old Maine Central Railroad in Crawford Notch, New Hampshire. Completed to Fabyan's in August 1875 by the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad, the building of this railroad was an amazing accomplishment, but to also build a house on the edge of it makes this an incredible story.

The railroad would eventuality be leased to the Maine Central Railroad. And the Mt Willard Section House was built in 1887 to house section foreman James E. Mitchell, his family, and crew who maintained Section 139 of the railroad. James and his family lived a short distance up the tracks before moving into the Mt Willard Section House. 

Continue reading right arrow