Posts Tagged: portland & ogdensburg railroad



Frankenstein Trestle, Crawford Notch

Frankenstein Trestle along the Maine Central Railroad in the White Mountains, New Hampshire.
Frankenstein Trestle – White Mountains, New Hampshire
 

Frankenstein Trestle, Crawford Notch – Frankenstein Trestle is located along the old Maine Central Railroad in New Hampshire’s Crawford Notch in the White Mountains. And the historical marker for the trestle is located along Route 302 near the Dry River Campground. The trestle is named for Godfrey Frankenstein, a German born artist who spent time painting in the Crawford Notch area during the 1800s.

The railroad was chartered in 1867 as the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad Company, then leased to the Maine Central Railroad in 1888, and later abandoned in 1983. Since 1995 the Conway Scenic Railroad, which provides passenger excursion trains, has been using the track. The building of this railroad through Crawford Notch was a major accomplishment during the 1800s.

Continue reading right arrow

Mt Willard Section House, Crawford Notch

Crawford Notch State Park - Location of the Mt Willard Section house, which was at the end of the Willey Brook Trestle along the old Maine Central Railroad in the White Mountains, New Hampshire. This section house was built by the Maine Central Railroad in 1887 to house the section foreman and crew who maintained the track. From 1903-1942 the Hattie Evans family lived at the house, it was destroyed by fire in 1972.
Mt Willard Section House c. 1900 – From The New York Public Library
 

Mt Willard Section House, Crawford Notch – Above is the historic Mt Willard Section House and the Willey Brook Bridge (c. 1900) along the old Maine Central Railroad in Crawford Notch, New Hampshire. Completed to Fabyan's in August 1875 by the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad, the building of this railroad was an amazing accomplishment, but to also build a house on the edge of it makes this an incredible story.

The railroad would eventuality be leased to the Maine Central Railroad. And the Mt Willard Section House was built in 1887 to house section foreman James E. Mitchell, his family, and crew who maintained Section 139 of the railroad. James and his family lived a short distance up the tracks before moving into the Mt Willard Section House. 

Continue reading right arrow