Snyder Brook Waterfalls, White Mountains – Located in the New Hampshire town of Randolph and the township of Low and Burbank's Grant Snyder Brook is a photographer’s and waterfall enthusiasts paradise. The lower portion of Snyder Brook is within the thirty-six acre Snyder Brook Scenic Area, which contains an impressive stand of old growth hemlock and red spruce.
In September of 1875 William G. Nowell, a 19th century trail builder, named Snyder Brook after Charles E. Lowe’s dog (ref: 1915 Appalachia Vol.13). Lowe was also a 19th century trail builder and mountain guide. Lowe and Nowell are credited for building Lowe’s Path in 1875-1876, one of the oldest trails in continuous use in the White Mountains. An 1896 map of Randolph indicates that Snyder Brook was once known as Salmacis Brook.